What's Going On Here Then?

This blog is purely about Gatsby, and his greatness. You won't find waffle here. All you need to know to pass a Gatsby exam question is secreted somewhere in these pages! And some stuff you won't need. See those fish? If you click in the "water", it feeds them. Please be generous with your clicking.

Monday 17 January 2011

Themes...

Themes;
Love - “short winded elations of men”- (chapter 1)
              “I even had a short affair with a girl who lived in New Jersey”- (chapter 3)
            “For a moment I thought I loved her”- (chapter 3)
             “Gatsby?  What Gatsby?”  - (chapter 1)
             “I looked outdoors for a minute… It’s romantic isn’t it Tom?”  (Chapter 1)
             “Tom’s got some woman in New York” (chapter 1- bringing in idea of adultery also)
             “I’d get a divorce and get married to each other”- (chapter 1- adultery also)
              “Girls were swooning backwards playfully into men’s arms”- (chapter 3)
            “But his heart was in a constant turbulent riot”- (Chapter 6)

Class- “He wasn’t fit to lick my shoe”- (chapter 2)
            “I knew he was below me”- (chapter2)
            “A man of fine breeding”- (chapter 4)
            “He would never so much as look at a friend’s wife”- (chapter 4)
            “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such- such beautiful shirts before” (chapter 5)
            “I’ve never met so many celebrities”- (Chapter 6)
            “I raised him out of nothing, right out of the gutter”- (Chapter 9)


Money- “All they think of is money”- (chapter 2)
            “I came into a great deal of money”- (chapter 4)
            “He was at present, a penniless man”- (Chapter 8) 

Murder/death- “He killed a man once”- (chapter 3)
                           “It takes two to cause an accident”- (chapter 3)
                        “Then came the war”- (chapter 4)
                        “I lost most of it in the big panic- the panic of the war” (chapter 5)
“Then he killed her”- (Chapter 8)
“it was an accident George”- (Chapter8)
“The Holocaust was complete”- (Chapter 8)
     
Adultery- “Tom’s got some woman in New York” (chapter 1)
             “I’d get a divorce and get married to each other”- (chapter 1)


No comments:

Post a Comment